If you're encountering the 'Reference 4 Systemwide is currently running' alert, this guide provides steps on how to resolve it.
In this article:
- 'Reference 4 Systemwide is currently running' message
- How to avoid the conflict with the legacy version app
- Disable the 'Launch on Startup' feature
- Fully quit the Reference 4 Systemwide app
- How to uninstall Reference 4
'Reference 4 Systemwide is currently running' message
If you see this dialog in the SoundID Reference standalone app, this means that the Reference 4 Systemwide app is also running in the background.
Since both Reference 4 and SoundID Reference have their own standalone apps, and both are attempting to apply calibration on all outgoing system audio by creating a virtual audio driver, they can potentially cause conflict if running at the same time.
NOTE! Reference 4 and SoundID Reference are two separate products. Installing SoundID Refernece on your computer will not uninstall or replace Refernece 4 automatically.
How to avoid the conflict with the legacy version app
If you are intending to use the SoundID Reference standalone app, the equivalent Reference 4 Systemwide app should be fully closed to avoid conflict between the two virtual drivers. There are several ways to resolve this conflict:
Disable the 'Launch on Startup' feature in Reference 4 Systemwide to avoid the issue when turning on your computer, or restarting it. This is especially useful if you are a Refernece 4 user running a trial for SoundID Reference.
Note that both apps are configured to launch on computer startup by their default settings.
- Fully quit the Reference 4 Systemwide app to solve the issue instantly. Keep in mind that the issue might return later on if both apps are launched at the same time for any reason.
- Uninstall Reference 4 completely to resolve the problem permanently.
Disable the 'Launch on Startup' feature
- Open Reference 4 Systemwide app (click on the Sonarworks logo in the menu bar (Mac)/taskbar (Windows) and click on 'Open Reference Systemwide' from the menu)
- Open the drop-down menu from the top-right corner of the app and click on Settings
- Go to the General tab, and uncheck the 'Launch on startup' option
Fully quit the Reference 4 Systemwide app
Quit the Systemwide app so that it doesn't interfere with the SoundID Reference app:
- Click on the Sonarworks logo in the menu bar (Mac)/taskbar (Windows)
- Click on 'Quit' from the dropdown menu
How to uninstall Reference 4
If you do not plan to use the Reference 4 Systemwide app anymore, the issue can be resolved by uninstalling Reference 4 completely. Follow the instructions in these articles: